Pages

Oh Baby!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 0 Comments »

No, I'm not pregnant, but this is shaping up as a very busy year for baby shower invitations. Hmmmm.


The PattiCakes baby gift du jour is a flannel baby quilt/blanket. Very easy, and fairly fast to make. I will post pictures in a few days once I get the most current one done.


All you need are two coordinating 1.5 yard pieces of flannel, a 1.5 yard piece of batting, and a contrasting piece of flannel for binding. Make a quilt sandwich (I spray baste), then machine quilt in a large motif. Most of the time I do a big diagonal grid, but I've also done a big ol' meander (a walking foot is advisable). Trim the edges, then bind.

On occassion I've used the thick poly batting and tied it rather than doing the quilting, but I don't think the result is as sturdy. This is meant to be a blanket/quilt that can be spit up on, thrown in the washer, put on the floor as a soft place to play, thrown in the washer, flung over mom's shoulder to shield while breast feeding, wrapped around legs in a stroller, dragged around the house as a "buddy", then thrown in the washer again.


And guess what? Right now Joann's fabrics is having a great sale on their snuggle flannel -- $2.49/yard! AND they have some nifty coupons. With all of these baby shower invitations pouring in, I'd better stock up!

0 comments: