Pages

Getting My Chop On Without the Tears

Monday, January 16, 2012 4 Comments »
My quilting friends have me pegged as a gadget lady.  Guilty as charged!  Anything to make a process easier or faster, has my name written all over it.  This gadgeticy extends to the kitchen s well.

DD Kate had these on her Christmas list.  Both of us adore onions.  Along with garlic, they are one of our major food groups.  Unfortunately, we also suffer from an extreme sensitivity to onion fumes. making it difficult to cut onions, in even the smallest amount, without having to keep wet rags at hand to wipe and sooth our eyes after every slice. 

I found the goggles on Amazon at a great price (free shipping with Amazon Prime, heh heh), and ordered 3 pair -- one for Kate, one for my sister Sue, and one por moi.  Seriously folks, these have changed my life.  I made caramelized onions yesterday, cutting up roughly 8 lbs of onions, and shed nary a tear.  Sis used them yesterday as well, even sending me a phone picture of her looking really really silly wearing them, but attesting to their life altering qualities. 

If you get a pair, you can look silly too, and then make this recipe for caramelized onions.  I LOVE caramelized onions.  So good on top of any meat, on burgers or on pizza (my fave)!  This recipe would well for cooking the onions to make a dynomite onion soup, too. 

Slow Cooker Caremelized Onions


  • Lots and lots of onions.  I use Texas Sweet or Vidalia, but yellow would work just fine.
  • 1 stick of butter (1/4 lb), cut into 8 pieces
Put on your goggles!  Slice your onions whichever way you like & dump them in the slow cooker.  You can fill it to the top, and pack it tight -- the onions will cook down to less than a third of the original volume.  Scatter the butter pieces on the top.  Cook on low for about 16 hours.  I have a cooker that can be set for 8 or 10 hours on low, so I started it in the early afternoon on 8 hours, then reset it before I went to bed.

How easy is that?   We are having pizza tonight, so I'll just make one little pie for me with a schmear of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), a load of the caramelized onions, some mozzarella & parmesan cheese, and a sprinkling of italian spices.  And that little pie will be mine, all mine. 

4 comments:

regan said...

Yay! I'm not a nut! I use a similar pair of glasses when I'm cutting jalapenos for salsa....and gloves! I look crazy doing it, but no fear of jalapeno juice squirting me in the eyes! :o)

And those caramelized onions look amazing! I'm doing that! Thanks!

Mrs.Pickles said...

ohhhh I love gadgets. I am going to have to look into getting those!

Maria said...

Great idea. When DH and I have to cut up 5 kgs (over 11 lbs)of onions for the BBQ stall at the church fete (fair) he wears his swimming goggles...may look weird but it works!

Andrew J said...

I have onion goggles too and they have changed my life!!! Thanks for sharing this slow cooker method - I'm going to try it out!