Robert Kaufman Fabrics has helped developed a set of 8 very handy quilting calculators that are available for iPhones and iPads through the iTunes AppStore. The set, called The Quilter's Little Helper is also available for smart phones with the Android operating system. The app is FREE! I tried to poke around the RK site to see if the calculators were available just via the web, but I didn't have much success.
Here is a link to a full description of the app. And here is what it does:
- Fabric Measurement Conversion: Converts between inches, yards in decimal form and yards in fractional form.
- Backing and Batting Calculator: Determines how much yardage from a bolt of fabric is needed to make the backing for a quilt.
- Piece Count Calculator: Shows the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric that may be cut from a larger piece.
- Pieces to Yardage Area Calculator: Indicates how much fabric is needed in order to cut a given number of fixed sized pieces.
- Binding Calculator: Tells you the amount of fabric required to bind your quilt based on the quilt’s dimensions and the binding strip width.
- Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on a quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders.
- Square in a Square Calculator: Works out all the key dimensions of a square in a square block.
- Set-in and Corner Triangle Calculator: Determines the size of the square piece you’ll need to cut in order to create both unfinished set-in triangles and unfinished corner triangles.
RK also has a nifty little blog and a newsletter you can subscribe to. Just what we need -- more temptations!