Pages

Guild-ty Pleasures

Monday, July 04, 2011 0 Comments »
phillymodernquiltguild  I've joined a guild.  I've wanted to join a guild for a while, but most have meetings that are not very inconvenient for my schedule.  I work in Center City Philadelphia, commuting on the train, & not arriving home until 6:00 PM; that makes getting to a meeting difficult, especially if the meeting is some distance away.

The Philadeplphia Modern Quilt Guild meets about 15 minutes away, and at a time that is doable.  Bobbi no blog asked Nancy, Near Philadelphia and I if we wanted to go to the June Meeting, where Jay McCarroll, a former Project Runway winner, was speaking.  You betcha!  I am addicted to PR, and this was the perfect excuse to dip my toes in the guild pool.  Nancy already belongs to another guild, but Bobbi and I both ended up joining PMQG.  We are now both card-carrying guilders!


Jay has a new fabric line, Habitat.  Were we game for a challenge?  The resulting quilt would benefit Quilts for Japan.  If we chose to participate in the challenge, we were given a paper bag with cuts from one of the colorways from his line, and charged with making a block for a group quilt.   I finished mine yesterday.  It was my first challenge ever, and used fabric that just didn't speak to me, but here's what I came up with. 



Yep, I used my Go! to cut those drunkards path blocks.  I'm not wild about the block, but I have to tell  you that the pieces were a cinch to cut and went together easy peasy.  

One more item from my quilting-things-I've-never-tried-before checked off the list!  And Jay McCarroll?  He's about the nicest, sweetest guy you'd ever want to meet.  AND he's from Pennsylvania!!!

0 comments: